Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Hodgepodge - Father Reflections
Time for another round of questions from Joyce. I don't know how she does this every week.
1. What do you think makes a good dad?
These apply to also being a good mom.
Stay active in a child's life. Keep trying to find out about a child's life even when they go through the stage of not wanting anything to do with you. Unconditional love.
2. What's something you learned from your own father?
My dad died when I was 21 so I've now lived more than half my life without him. So sometimes it is hard to remember him and what I may have learned from him. I have rose-colored glasses on when I do think of him. But the most important thing is that I remember how much he loved me. So I don't know if that was something I learned but it is what I remember.
3. It's your birthday-what kind of cake will we be having?
When I was young, it would have been German Chocolate. When I was in my 20's it would have been anything decadently chocolate. I haven't baked a cake in years now. I think if I would choose a cake it would be carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
4. When you're faced with a big decision are you more of a go with your gut type of person, or are you someone who reasons it all out, weighing the pros and cons?
I do both. Most of the time my gut reaction is the same as when I weigh the pros and cons.
5. June is National Dairy Month. What's your favorite dairy item? Most often purchased dairy item?
Oh how I love dairy products. How do you choose a favorite? You've got so many kinds of cheese and milk. Oh my. I guess I would go with my Braum's lowfat milk as favorite and most purchased. Although I do buy a lot of shredded monterrey jack/colby mix.
6. Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born on June 11, 1910....what's something you've recently discovered or something you'd like to explore?
I'm discovering new vegetables and ways to cook them. I definitely need to keep going on that.
7. Are you typical of your generation?
When I was younger I would say not. But now I probably am typical of people in their 40's.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I'm enjoying going to the gym to walk on the treadmill. I thought I would but it gives me time to decompress and not think about anything.