Sunday, April 15, 2012

Friday's Tornado

Well Friday it happened. Norman was hit by a tornado. Around 4 they announced at work that we needed to go to the storm shelter. A great benefit that we have at work is huge storm shelters. This is the first time since we've been in the building that we had to go their during work hours. Of course half the building was gone (probably storm chasing) so we had lots of space. Cell phones don't work very well so I had to rely on wifi. I checked in with Whitney and she kept me updated on what the news was showing because I couldn't get any streaming tv on the iPad. Probably too many people doing the same thing. The forecasters came down so I knew it was serious. Then they gave us the ok to go back. Sirens were still going off outside for town but it was to the east of us. I trust the forecasters if they say it's ok to go back. Dan was finally able to call me and say he was ok. Cell phone coverage was very sporadic so if you plan on that for your escape think again.

We made national news almost right away, probably because half of them were already in the building doing stories about the high risk over the weekend. My mom called to check on us before I had even left work.

When I got home I watched the news and the helicopters were showing the damage. Norman lucked out and no major injuries or fatalities. The tornado was a small one but it did do damage. It hit an apartment complex and then skipped its way across downtown. Somehow it missed two middle schools and a high school which hadn't left for the day.

I went around today to look at the damage. The area near the apartment was still closed because of downed power lines.


This is one of the old trees near a downtown park. They have a lot of concerts here in the summer.


This building got hit and lost a lot of its outside brick wall. They were already tearing it down today.

Norman was very lucky. We know this. Others in the state and Midwest were not so lucky yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. Scary stuff. Glad you are ok. We have never had a tornado around here. I don't know if my nerves old cope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I've been addicted to the storm forecasts this weekend. Tornadoes frighten me. :o

    Glad you're doing okay

    So do you work in a news station?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see you are alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear you came through without a scratch. Wishing Norman all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO glad to know you, Dan and Whitney are ok! Thinking of the people in Kansas and Oklahoma and sending lots of love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete