Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hawaii - Part 4

Boy my blogging about Hawaii is taking longer than the actual trip.

We left for Maui and it was quite an adventure. We took Island Air because their flights were cheapest. It was a propeller plane! And they were very serious about the weight of both your checked bag and carryon roller bag. After much moving of stuff we finally got the two bags right (we had to check both of them). Then getting a car turned out to be a production. We upgraded when we got there and had to have a car switched out. Just when I thought we were set, the helicopter place called and our flight was cancelled due to weather. We rescheduled for a couple of days later.

Driving to our condo was easy (it's an island after all). We were able to check in a little bit early and then get a late lunch. I was starving at that point so happy to find a little sandwich shop right at the condo. That place was so friendly. You could tell the locals liked to go to the bar there. A big group was watching Thursday night football which starts at 3 in Hawaii! Our condo was so nice. The view from the lanai was out of this world.

After unloading our luggage we decided to go grocery shopping. Boy are things more expensive there. But definitely cheaper than eating out all our meals. We got our first load in the elevator and that's when things went bad. We got stuck in the elevator! Like really stuck. We had to use the call button and then the power went out and we had no lights. No cell phone coverage. We were on the first floor so we didn't worry about the elevator dropping but it was hot. Like dripping water off of us. After 20 minutes someone came and started to try and open the doors but he didn't know how to do it. The maintenance guy was going to be another 45 minutes away. We were way to hot for this so I told them to call 911 and get the fire department to come. That took another 15 minutes. They were able to get the door open a bit and at least get some air circulating. They could squeeze a couple of water bottles through the door also. After 45 minutes stuck in the elevator, they were talked through how to cut the power to the door and it opened. Phew. Unfortunately we had missed sunset. They fire department was nice enough to help us carry up our groceries four flights. They checked Dan out because he was sweating so much but he was fine. By this time we were ready for a break so we just hung out in the condo the rest of the night.

More adventures to come!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh getting stuck on the elevator! You will remember your trip to Hawaii and that adventure for a long time!