Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hodgepodge - What's in a Name?

Joining Joyce for this week's questions. You can thank number 3 for this week's title.



1. My (Joyce) real life friends came through with another question this week so thank you real life friends. When you've eaten in a restaurant do you complete their comment card? Do you take online surveys highlighted at the bottom of store receipts?

The comment card I usually skip but I do take online surveys from receipts sometimes. I try to do it if I had exceptional service so they get some of those responses. But I've never won anything from doing it.

2. The (US) ban on women in combat was lifted at the end of January. It will probably be next year before specifics are worked out, but its been reported over 200,000 front line positions will eventually open up to women. Your thoughts?

I'm for anyone serving their country in any way they see fit. The women have to ask to be in one of those positions so no one is going to be forced to do anything.

3. In looking back at all the blog posts you've written, what's your favorite post title?

As of this writing I had 633 posts. That's a lot to go through to find a great title. But I forged on to come up with one from my first year of writing. Jolly Green Giant Terrorizes Youth was written about my dislike of peas. And hardly anyone has ever read it because at the time I wrote it, I had about 10 followers...all relatives. So go ahead, read about my adventures.

4. What's worse-overly permissive parents or overly protective parents? Did your own parents lean more to the permissive or the protective category? If you're a parent where do you fall?

I think overly permissive parents are worse. I would never describe my parents as either and I probably fall under more the overly protective parent. Having only one child that was sort of easy to do.

5. Candlelight-moonlight-firelight-bright lights in the big city...which one's your favorite?

I like firelight. We don't get to light our fire very often.

6. Dr. Seuss's birthday was celebrated on Saturday. What's a favorite book you remember (Seuss or otherwise) from your own childhood? Did books play an important role in your growing up years? Explain.

I loved Nancy Drew books growing up and the Boxcar Children. I was a voracious reader often reading in bed with a little light after I was supposed to be asleep. I am an extremely fast reader too. I learned to skip all the short words (a, too, the) when I read so I finish a book pretty fast.

7. To quote Dr. Seuss...


"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." 
from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish


Share something funny you've recently read, seen or heard.

I just got an email from a colleague. We are trying to plan a talk next month at a conference. Of course our talk is up against one of the more popular ones about federal funding opportunities. She said she would bring chocolate to bribe people to come to ours. I said we could bring tar and feathers to give to people to take to the other talk (it is the federal government...not our favorites right now). She said it would be "a chicken coup". I had to laugh at that one.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Went to a wine tasting on Monday at a newly renovated and expanded liquor store. The room was huge and they had moved the table that they serve from to the back. So that is really good. Unfortunately they still have the long line problem. It took forever to go through 4 tastes. It is interesting to compare to the clientele at the two different liquor stores that do tastings. This one is in the center of town and it has an older, more affluent group of people. The other one closer to my house is younger and stragglier. Needless to say we usually have more expensive wine at the one in the center of town. But I like the one closer to me.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for Nancy Drew...they were my favorite childhood books, too! It's funny...I read exactly like you do. Now that my oldest daughter is off at college, it's like Abby is our only child and I do tend toward being more over-protective at times. Thankfully, I never take it too far...though she might disagree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken coup!
    There's a place in town that has beer tasting events, and I think a liquor store has wine tastings every now & then. I really need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what line of work it is, but there probably aren't going to be many federal funding opportunities, so that should help your cause.

    We love to read Dr. Seuss, we read There's a Wocket in my Pocket last night before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be interested to do a wine tasting one time because so far, i've only liked the sweet, fruity ones. I need to expand my palate. (Heck, I dont even know how to spell palate - I'm not sophisticated enough for wine, me thinks) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like our reading styles are the same. Love wine tastings. You wouldn't guess it but the area up around Lake Erie is wine country. We go up and make the rounds about twice a year and restock our supply. It's a lot of fun and we've taken different family or friends along.

    ReplyDelete