Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hodgepodge - Love Potion #9

Joining up with Joyce for this week's hodgepodge questions. 

1. This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year?
I grew up Catholic and I remember having fish on Fridays. But I never gave up anything for Lent. I still don't. I'm not Catholic anymore but my church will do occasional fasts and I'll do those but it never is for 40 days. Last time I gave up wine for a week.

2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you?
I like pancakes but I don't make them very often. I would make Whitney "Mickey Mouse" pancakes. You know ones that are connected and look like the mouse head.

3. I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love?
Time to date myself. I like Rick Astley Never Gonna Give You Up. Horrible video but I love my 80's music.

4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them?
Doing things that are nice for others without them asking you to do them.

5. Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?
I like purple and pink roses. Last time I got flowers was probably last fall from Dan. And I would rather see a dozen red roses than those other flowers.

6. President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home),Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why?
I've actually been to four of five of those (never been to Hyde Park). I've even been to others not listed like Calvin Coolidge and Harry Truman. My funny story about Montpelier is when we went there in the 70's I remember they were painting it for a paint commercial. And the story about how Jefferson designed it and made the kitchen door short so Madison would have to bow down every day he left through the door to Monticello (they are near each other).

7. Are you good at keeping secrets?
I think I am good at keeping secrets. I don't think I have any at the moment to keep but I could if needed.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
It rained/snowed here on Tuesday. Big news in a drought state. It was big wet snowflakes that looked very pretty from inside my office. Of course my pictures didn't turn out too well.

The entry outside of my office.

5 comments:

  1. It's been raining here...minus the snowflakes...for the past 3 days. Ready for the sun to shine, again! I happen to remember that Rick Astley song...I'm a big 80's music fan myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are not Catholic but we do like pancakes. Usually I make them on Pancake Tuesday but forgot about it. I even had fresh blueberries to put in them :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you really post Rick Astley?!?!? haha! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The area we live in had a very strong Catholic influence when we were growing up...not as much now, but one thing remains that I can't wait for every year....the Lenten Fish Fry! Lots of churches and fire dept. have them as fund raisers. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I headed to the 80s love songs too. I ended up picking another one, but there is just something about the 80s that I love. :-) We just got 16-20 inches of snow in the last three days. Plenty for now...I hope!

    ReplyDelete