Monday, May 21, 2012

Potato Salad

Warmer weather means one thing...eating food that isn't baked. So of course we made hamburgers this weekend. Not grilled them but on the George Foreman grill and stuffed with velveeta. Our version of a Juicy Lucy. We saw this on an episode of Man vs. Food and continue to try and make it at home. And along with the burgers, Whitney wanted potato salad. She decided during the school year that she liked red potatoes with the skins on. Thank goodness to expand her horizons instead of just russets. Dan has always liked potato salad made with red potatoes so every body was happy.

This was the first time that I did everything for the salad. Normally I'm the egg cooker and then Dan handles the potatoes and sauce. But he was busy putting the new lawn mower together and mowing the yard before it rained so I took over. It turned out perfect. We used to make it with diced onions but a friend didn't like it but loved the salad. Now we've made it so much without the onions I don't ever want to add them back in.



Potato Salad - An Original Recipe

2# red potatoes steamed
4 hard boiled eggs
1 1/4 cups mayonaise
1/3 cup dill relish 2 tsp. vinegar
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. sugar

Make sure your potatoes have cooled before trying to cut them or they will fall apart. (lesson learned on first potato) Mix the sauce ingredients separately and slowly add it in while you are cutting the potatoes. That helps spread the sauce around evenly. Refrigerate for several hours before serving so the flavors can meld together.

5 comments:

  1. It was a potato salad weekend here too. No onions - blech

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off - thank you for the lovely email. It was so nice to hear from you. I really appreciate it. :) [And yes Squirrel is home too - eating us out of house and home.]

    The potato salad looks really, really good! I am a huge fan of skin on reds, but the kids fuss at the skin on. I may have to pull the whine and get my way on this. lol We always cut our potatoes first tho'. I can't imagine doing it afterwards. It is it hard to do? And I love, love, love celery seed. I am always looking for new places to use it. Thank you! Although did you know that it is incredibly high in sodium? It shocked me. So I don't eat as much coleslaw in the summer as I used to - but when I do I rationalize it by telling myself how good the cabbage is for me. heehee And definitely no onions in potato salad here either.

    Thanks for the recipe. We will put it in our summer recipe file and call it "Tracy's Best Potato Salad". YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I'm reading through the blogs I follow today yours is the second one to give a potato salad recipe, guess it's Memorial Day weekend coming up, LOL! I find in interesting that both recipes called for sugar, I have never added sugar to mine, but just might have to try that. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, this sounds good! Yay, to NO onions!

    ReplyDelete