Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mistaken Identity

We have three bird feeders in our yard. One has safflower seeds, one has sunflower seeds and one is a hummingbird feeder. I love to watch the birds in the morning and evening fighting for their place at the feeder. Some of them are smarter than others and gather all the seeds from the ground. Mostly it is finches, cardinals and sparrows. I do have one large bird that looks like a pigeon but Dan thinks it is a dove that hangs out on the ground by the safflower seeds.

Yesterday though we had the strangest siting ever. The hummingbird feeder is right by the living room window. We had a hummingbird that caught my eye and then just a couple of minutes later, another bird went to it. But it wasn't a hummingbird...it was an ORIOLE. I didn't even think we had those kind of birds in Oklahoma. I kept looking at it going why is there an oriole here? It was orange in all the right places. We even got the bird book out and found its picture. And it was at the HUMMINGBIRD feeder! Drinking from it. For five minutes. I couldn't believe it. Obviously this bird did not know what he was supposed to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment