Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rio Grande CountryRibs

In my quest to not use the oven for the hottest two months of the year, I needed to find some new recipes since we tend to eat the same things over and over. I pulled out our crockpot cookbook and found a couple of rib recipes and then ribs went on sale so I knew it was to be. I thought that these would be good since they combined Mexican flavors and pork.


Rio Grande Country Ribs
Courtesy of Crockery Cookery

2 1/2 - 3 lbs. country-style pork ribs
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 (7oz) can green chile salsa
1/4 dry white wine
3 T brown sugar
1T Worcestershire sauce
1tsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder
2T cornstarch
3T water

Combine ribs and onion in crockpot. In a medium bowl, combine salsa, wine, brown sugar, worcestshire sauce, mustard and chili powder. Pour mixture over meat. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until tender. Remove ribs. Combine corn starch and water in small bowl. Stir into crackpot. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Spoon sauce over ribs.

We served this on a tortilla with sour cream.

Dan and I liked it, especially the sauce. I thought it had a cinnamon flavor, maybe from the green salsa? Whitney wasn't fond of it, which just left more for us. I would definitely make sure to not overlook the ribs because they have a tendency to get dry when overcooked.

I'm always looking for recipes that use country ribs because they usually have good sales on them. So it's a good thing to have different ways to prepare them.

No comments:

Post a Comment