Saturday, January 26, 2013

Eggs with Sweet Potato/Apple Pancakes

As many of you have gathered, I'm obsessed with The Chew on ABC. I've had the cookbook since November and hadn't made anything. Partly because I'm afraid to bend the pages too much since Michael Symon autographed it. But he said use it to cook, so cook I did.

The first recipe I made was actually from Daphne Oz. Normally I wouldn't have made something of hers but she used sweet potatoes and I'm trying to expand what I use them for. Plus I thought this would be easy to make and Dan would eat it.

Eggs with Sweet Potato and Apple Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of The Chew

Ingredients

5 fresh eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
1 sweet potato peeled and grated
1/2 onion grated
1/2 apple grated
1 carrot grated
2 egg whites lightly beaten
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


In a pan lightly poach eggs.

In a medium-sized skillet heat 1/3 cup olive oil to medium-high heat.

Grate the sweet potatoes, onion, apple and carrot. Ring out the shavings in a cheese cloth or paper towel (this is to ensure the pancakes won't be soggy). Then in a large bowl, place shredded sweet potatoes, grated onion, grated apple, grated carrot, 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup flour. Then add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.

In a medium-sized skillet, Combine and drop: enough batter into hot oil to make 2 1/2-3 inch pancakes. Add more oil, as needed, and fry cakes in batches until golden on each side.


I wasn't sure what size of any of the vegetables to use. I used half of a Fuji apple since I like those. I also used a smallish onion and my sweet potato was medium large. I made three pancakes the first night and then the second day I cooked up the rest for lunch.

This was really nice. I decided that I didn't even need the egg to complete the dish.

Now it is time for me to tackle some more recipes from this cookbook.

6 comments:

  1. Those pancakes sounds sooo good! I love apple and sweet potato...never thought about it, but their flavors would go together great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love potato pancakes but never tried with sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this recipe! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Showed Pooldad and as a lover of sweet potatoes and eggs his eyes light up like Christmas. Looks like this is definitely in our future. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I like that those are more like potato cakes than a true pancake with the battery part. Does that make sense? So you don't have to fuss with the pancake, and get all the goodies it's made with. I think a dash of cinnamon and sugar [just a pinch] would be delicious too.

    I have never watched the Chew. I might have to start. And I know what you mean - it must be hard to want to use the cookbook, but not ruin it with the autograph. Can you download it on your Ipad or Kindle [if you have one] if it's available that way? I downloaded the Kindle app for free from Amazon and all my library books and books I buy go on there. You could do that and then just print out the recipes you want to try without mucking up your nice book.

    What's up next? I love your recipes. They are never anything I would think of and always so tasty. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - I meant to say I downloaded the Kindle app to my PC [if I didn't make sense] for free. :)

    ReplyDelete