Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Meatloaf - The Chew Way

I decided that comfort food was needed on the weekend. Normally when I make meatloaf I just wing it with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. But I wanted to try something new and went with a recipe from The Chew.


Carla Hall's Meatloaf
Recipe courtesy of The Chew

1/3 cup Milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 small onion (grated)
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 eggs
1/3 cup prepared horseradish (I left this out)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon hot sauce

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix breadcrumbs and milk until breadcrumbs are coated. To bowl add the remaining ingredients and mix until combines.

Pack mixture into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a 13- by 9-inch shallow baking dish or pan. Bake until the loaf has an internal temperature of 155°F, 60 to 75 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

This was super flavorful and actually a little too moist. The grated onion and carrot had a lot of water so I think that made the mixture loose. I usually cook my meatloaf on a cooling rack on a sheet pan so the fat can drip out of it. The meatloaf was so loose that it sunk through the rack. Next time I will try and add more breadcrumbs.



6 comments:

  1. I find meatloaf mixture is a feel sort of thing. But I like to make the recipe the first time exactly as written and would've never thought about the carrot and onion having extra water. I make ours in a pan, with a rack in it, but I can still see it falling through. Thanks for the hint because I will definitely be making this. With the addition of the horseradish [Pooldad loves it] it sounds like a winner. And a great way to get an extra serving of our "5 a day"

    Again - another winner! Thanks. [I think I may have to go buy this cookbook too. That's two in a row. :)]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carrots are what I meant by "5 a day" - not the horseradish. OOps. It's early. Have a great day sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. meat... a no no in our house :) My husband would drool looking at this though, bringing back memories of meatloaf in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch The Chew almost every day...I'm sure this meatloaf is a hit! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like carrots in anything and this meatloaf sounds wonderful! What a great idea to cook it on a cooling rack....thanks for that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday: Meatloaf. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete