Monday, January 10, 2011

Fasting

My church started a 21 day fast today. I've decided to participate but in my own way.

We received a book last week with details of different kinds of fasting: Fruits and Vegetables, Only Liquids, etc. None of that sounded appealing to me. I know I couldn't handle it. So I've decided to fast from chocolate.

Some of you may go chocolate? But if you know me, you know that I have to have chocolate every day or I become a very cranky person. Even when I was dieting, I had four or five pieces of dark chocolate every afternoon. So this could become a very big deal for me.

The purpose of fasting is to pray and have personal devotion for God. I always used to think that people who did these things were crazy. However over the last couple of years my opinions have changed. I understand why people do it. I understand why people are passionate about their faith. Notice I said faith, not religion. There is a big difference.

We were encouraged to choose a couple of areas that we wanted to pray for and focus on them. My plan is to pray for them every time I want chocolate. Of course I'll add in prayer at times I don't want chocolate but I think that this will be an interesting experiment.

I'll let you know how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment