Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Natural Disasters and Chores
1. Do you think the world became a more dangerous place on September 11, 2001 or did we just become more aware of the danger? How has your own life changed as a result of that day?
I don't think it is any more dangerous. I'm not sure if we are aware of the danger anymore either. It just hit closer to home for a lot of people. Living near OKC during that bombing, I think we got a little taste of danger a lot earlier than NYC. And as much as I hate to admit it, that one still terrifies me more. I can't go to the bombing memorial museum eventhough I didn't know a single person who was killed. I'm sure I can go to the one in NYC and be moved, but not like here.
2. Did you think your parents were too strict when you were growing up? How about in hindsight?
I don't think they were too strict. I was an uptight child I think and followed rules pretty well. Not rebellious at all. So they must have done something right or else I just had that personality.
3. Share one random but candid fact about yourself.
I chose to attend OU because of their football team and the chance to win a national championship. Isn't that shallow? Lucky for me they did win one while I attended and they've won another one since so maybe I'm a good luck charm. It is important to note that I hadn't even been to the state of Oklahoma before coming to college and I know no one. I have no idea how my parents let me do this.
4. Would your nearest and dearest describe you as simple or far too complicated?
Oh, our favorite saying. High maintenance but think you are low maintenance (thanks When Harry Met Sally). I'm probably simple but people think I'm complicated.
5. What is your favorite stadium or carnival food?
I don't have any. The food is way overpriced and I'm a cheapskate so I won't pay those prices.
6. Tornado, hurricane, earthquake...how many of these natural disasters have you experienced? Which event do you think would be the scariest?
I've been in two hurricanes (Alicia, 1983, Houston and David, 1979, Orlando), one earthquake (Norman, 2010, 4.3 or 5.1 different reports) and near a lot of tornadoes (too many dates to count). Hurricanes are actually the easiest because you have plenty of warning and can get to a safer place. Tornadoes you might have some warning, although we had one form over our house and hit the next neighborhood just come out of nowhere. Earthquakes are totally unpredictable. I think that one is the scariest simply because you don't know it is coming.
7. Labor Day weekend is approaching so a work related question seems appropriate. Growing up, did your parents assign you regular chores? Were you paid for doing those chores? If you're a parent do you assign chores to your own children? Why or why not?
I'm sure we had chores I just don't remember. And we never got an allowance or get paid for doing them. We gave Whitney an allowance but it wasn't tied to her chores. Chores are something that you do because you are part of a family and you have to take responsibility for things around the house. If there was a special project I might pay her extra. But she was expected to do her chores, just like I'm expected to do my chores around the house. Nobody pays me to do the laundry but I have to do it.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
It's the last day of August. Football is just around the corner and I for one am glad that I don't have season tickets because there are going to be a lot of hot, sweaty people at the game Saturday. Even with a 6pm start it is going to feel like 100 degrees in that stadium. But I do get to have Whitney come home for the weekend (yippee!)