Thursday, December 22, 2011

Crockpot Snack Mix

Don't you just love snack mix? It is so darn expensive though at the stores that we make our own. And since I don't have huge microwave safe containers, I make mine in the crockpot. We've been doing this for years and I've tweaked the recipe many times. This is so easy and you can make it to suit your tastes. The original recipe came from a crockpot cookbook we have had forever.


Crockpot Snack Mix

3 cups corn chex
3 cups rice chex
2 cups wheat chex
2 cups pretzel sticks
1 cup peanuts
4 T melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Mix all your ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on low covered for 3 hours and then take the lid off and cook 30 more minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

You can use any combination of cereals, pretzels, nuts that you want. The original recipe had a whole can of mixed nuts and cheerios instead of chex cereals. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this stuff, especially homemade. But I can't have it anymore. sniff, sniff :)

    We don't have a large microwave so we have always made ours in the stove [truth is, I have never known how to make it in a micro] but the kids will be glad to know the crockpot method.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I wish I could reach my hand into that bowl and grab a bunch!

    ReplyDelete