Friday, April 4, 2014

D - Riding on a Dogsled


I got to cross this off my list in June 2012. It was probably one of the most exciting things I've ever done and I think everyone needs to do this once in their life.

We went to Juneau on a cruise and flew in a helicopter up to a glacier where the dogs are over the summer so they can continue to train. They always get excited when they hear the helicopters because they think they might get to run.

The view from the helicopter

You get paired in groups of 4 with two sleds behind the dogs. Lucky us got paired with an older couple who only wanted to ride in the sled. Dan was so nice to me because he knew this was my highlight of the trip and let me drive 3 of the 4 stops.

Me driving the sled
As you can see from the smile, I was a little excited and happy. I still am today when I think about it.

These dogs are worker dogs and not necessarily friendly pet dogs. But that's ok.


I still enjoyed my time riding on the dogsled.



9 comments:

  1. That sounds so exciting. So glad you got to do this. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! That is definitely on my list :)
    The Five Dog Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.....looks and sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool. I need to do that one of these days. New follower here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so cool! I bet it was very exciting. :-D That picture sure does look like you were having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking when I saw your pictures, where are your gloves! Weren't your hands cold? Glad you got to do this; it sounds like a lot of fun!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know people could fly in and do something like this. The Iditarod Race was all I knew about. Lucky you!
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  8. Experiences like that are proof of really living life. Nice!

    ReplyDelete