Saturday, April 5, 2014

E - Eating white truffles


My first gastronomic bucket list item. White truffles are one of the most expensive ingredients ($2,000/pound) on the planet. And I want to say I've had it. I'm not sure I'll like it, but I must try it someday. I've never even had black truffles, but I want the expensive white ones.

Why are the white ones so expensive? Because they are only available two months out of the year. They are from a special part of Italy and must be sniffed out by specially trained pigs (yes pigs).

Image from Denver Truffle
Have you ever eaten a truffle (black or white)? What did you think?

10 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there were different types of truffle, you learn something new everyday! I recently tried truffle as shavings on top of mushroom risotto, I think I liked it haha but it was a little overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only kind of truffles I've eaten are the chocolate candy kind, and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever tried a truffle. I believe they taste really earthy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had a truffle, except for the chocolate ones. I think it would be fun to experience eating a white truffle, awfully expensive, but fun!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had truffle oil, but not sure I've really had much of the real thing. It's a very rich ingredient. Apparently not only in taste... Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had truffle oil, but not sure I've really had much of the real thing. It's a very rich ingredient. Apparently not only in taste... Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I've eaten black truffles. I wasn't very impressed although everyone I know raves about the flavour. I found it very disappointing.

    Dropping in from A to Z.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a truffle like those. I've picked Mushrooms like morels, giant puffballs, shaggy mane, bear tooth claws, and lobster mushrooms.
    But I can say I've ate chocolate truffles before.

    Thanks for stopping in and coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had any kind of truffles but I have heard great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had a truffle and I'm not even sure what they are. But I must say, that picture does not encourage me to want to try them either. haha

    ReplyDelete