Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z - Have Zero Debt


And finally we come to the letter Z. In some ways my bucket list item is fitting to be last. It is to have zero debt.

Debt can be very dangerous. I've seen how not taking care of your finances can hurt you. Thankfully, Dan and I made a very conscious decision to limit our debt. We have a mortgage (which will be paid off in a couple of years) and a car payment (last one in July!). Whenever we buy something, we try and do 90 days same as cash. In the last year we bought a back door for the house, a new oven/stove, box spring/mattress and some furniture. All of it was bought without paying any interest. We always pay our credit card off every month.

Why do we think this is important? First of all, we live within our means. There is no worry that someone is going to be after us for money. Because we don't owe anyone. And then there is the backup that if something catastrophic happened, we have things we can tap into for money.

So in a few years, we will not have any payments on anything. What a wonderful feeling to have!

3 comments:

  1. That will be a wonderful feeling indeed! And then you can bank/save that money and it will help for emergency expenses and retirement :)

    Fun reading your bucket list through the challenge! Congrats for finishing it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still working on my mortgage. Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be paying off student loans for life. I don't think I'll be putting that on my bucket list.Whew! We did it. Congrats on finishing A to Z.

    ReplyDelete