Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hodgepodge-B style

If you are here for A-Z, its my other post today.



I'm joining Joyce for this week's questions since I had my A-Z post written for B written last week.

1. Since these questions are posting on the first day of April it seems only right to ask-when was the last time you did something foolish? If you can't answer that one, try this one-when was the last time someone fooled you?

I really don't have an answer for either of these questions. I like to think I'm not foolish or easily fooled.

2. What's the last biography or non-fiction book you've read? Was it any good?

I read a book about Henrietta Lacks. Never heard of her? Well I hadn't either but it is a interesting story about the rise of medical ethics. Mrs. Lacks had cervical cancer and she had cancer cells harvested from her. These cells were reproduced and sold to various entities to help in cancer studies. Her cells are everywhere. Unfortunately she had not given informed consent for the taking of these cells. Others profited off of her disease.

3. Garlic-friend or foe? What's your favorite dish made with garlic?

Love garlic. So many delicious dishes. An easy one is to heat olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes and coat some pasta. Simple, delicious and inexpensive.

4. Several Spring flower festivals happen in the US during the month of April. Of those listed, which would you most like to see in person...The Skagit Tulip Festivalin Skagit Washington, The Dogwood Arts Festival in Knoxville Tennessee, The North Carolina Azalea Festival in Wilmington North Carolina or the Daffodil Festival Weekend on Nantucket Island, Massachussets?

I've been to an Azalea festival in Oklahoma before. So I have to go with tulips. Although you sure would have to hit that one on just the right day or else they would all be destroyed by a big rainstorm.

You did leave off the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC. While technically not a flower, they are spectacular to look at.


5. How do you choose which blogs to read? What is something that will make you stop and read every time? Something that makes you say, 'eh, think I'll skip this one and move on to the next'?

I try to read all the blogs of the ones I follow. Although sometimes I click on it and it doesn't look interesting so I close the window. Sometimes it just is what mood I'm in and how much time I have to read it.

6. April is National Mathematics Education Month so tell us, when did you last use math?

I use math every day (as does everyone even if they don't think they do). I'm currently working on a budget for a proposal and even though I'm using Excel, I still have to think. My handy adding machine is located directly to the right of my phone on my desk. I can't tell you how many printer cartridges I've gone through on it.

If you use money to pay for anything, you are using math.

7. In honor of the A-Z challenge kicking off on April 1...choose one word beginning with the letter A to describe your yesterday.

Anti-awesome. (I couldn't think of the opposite of awesome to start with A so I made that one up). Three proposals on my desk, just got a call that another one that we've been going round and round with the funding agency has been sent back yet again for a change to what we originally proposed (thanks for changing your mind...again). Let's just say I'll be happy when it is Friday.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Anyone watch the Tonight Show? I wonder how much Ford is getting in free publicity from Jimmy Fallon's Fingers on a 4x4? It is a cute idea and the sales consultants (car dealers) are getting some good publicity and hopefully a large commission out of the deal.


6 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to a ballooning festival, and see them in the sky in masses, but I don't need to be up in one : ) Friends who went on safari did one in Africa and said it was amazing...they floated low above the animals, and literally had a birds eye view. I might like that!

    Hope today is better for you work wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked this morning & there's still 2 people doing the Ford thing!! Jimmy just needs to buy 2 vehicles - give one to Justin Timberlake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book about Henrietta Lacks! It is amazing how her cells have rejuvenated and been used in research and to find cures. Quite a moral issue and delimna for her family - and just an amazing TRUE story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna see the cherry blossoms in DC someday for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping the rest of your week WAS awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's hoping the rest of your week WAS awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete